Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Klaassen: Messi has never been an idol for me

Davy Klaassen has revealed ahead of Ajax's Champions League clash with Barcelona that he does not view Lionel Messi as a role model and has little interest in swapping shirts with the Argentine on Tuesday night. Messi is a four-time Ballon d'Or winner and considered one of the greatest players of all time. However, the 21-year-old Klaassen has admitted that he has never looked up to the Barca superstar or been a particularly big fan of the Catalan club. "If Lionel Messi doesn't ask for my shirt, I won't ask for his," the Ajax ace told reporters on the eve of Tuesday's Group F showdown. "He's a great football player, but he isn't an example for me. "And Barcelona are not one of my favourite clubs. Ajax have always been my No.1." Klaassen also claimed that Ajax have no intention of simply defending for 90 minutes at Camp Nou in the hope of nicking a point. "We will play our own game," the Netherlands international stated. "If we sit back, Lionel Messi will get too much space. "I don't think that sitting back is the solution against a squad like Barcelona. "We want to play against the pressing football of Barcelona. They are not used to play against teams like that. "Maybe there is a chance to beat them that way. "Barca is a very huge club. But I think it will be a great battle on the pitch. "Maybe I can enjoy it, but that will depend on the result. We want to win."

Tags:

0 Responses to “Klaassen: Messi has never been an idol for me”

Facebook Plugin by Sport News

© 2014 Sport News. All rights reserved.